What to Do After a Car Accident
Unfortunately, accidents happen all the time. However, your personal injury case is about more than the accident itself. Meagher Law Office has a list of suggested steps to take in the moments after your accident.
· Pull your vehicle to the side of the road, if possible.
· Do not leave the scene of the accident. There may be a number of situations in which a individual may be tempted to leave the scene of an accident, but this is always a bad idea. Not only can leaving the scene result in criminal charges, but it can also potentially bar the driver from obtaining compensation if unknown damages or injuries become apparent later on.
· Remain calm! Although it may be understandable to be frustrated with the individual who caused your accident, it is important to remain calm so that you can assess the situation clearly and move forward with the best possible course of action.
· Determine if you, a passenger, or any others involved in the accident has been injured.
· Call 911 immediately, even if you believe nobody has been injured.
· Obtain contact information (including auto insurance information and license number) from all parties involved in the accident.
· Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, road conditions, weather conditions and the roadway where the accident occurred.
· Obtain contact information of any and all witnesses to the accident, including their name, address, and phone number.
· Do not discuss the details of the accident with other drivers
· Do not accept responsibility or admit fault for the accident to anyone.
· Seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries could take days or weeks to become apparent.
· Contact your insurance company to report the crash. Give them contact and insurance information for other drivers and witnesses.
· If contacted by another driver's insurance company, it is recommended that you do not speak with them until you consult with a personal injury attorney.
· Obtain a copy of your police report from law enforcement officials or www.buycrash.com.
· Make all your scheduled appointments with medical providers and keep your doctor(s) informed about the effects of your injuries.
If you (or a loved one) believe you were not at fault for a car accident, contact the Meagher Law Office immediately for a free case consultation. It’s best to get an attorney involved as soon as possible after an accident while the evidence is still fresh. The sooner you call a lawyer, the sooner they can begin an investigation of your case to determine liability, how much your case may be worth, and what legal options are available to you for pursuing compensation.
This article is provided as an information resource and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified legal professional. In all cases, contact your legal professional for advice on any matter referenced in this article before making any decisions.